Monday, June 5, 2017

The Reader's Corner #1

"I'll Be Watching You"

I've just started reading true crime books by M William Phelps, and I must say, from the books I've been reading so far, he's a fantastic writer. While many people say he's no Ann Rule, he's still a great writer of true crime. He's not the best by a long shot, but he makes it entertaining.

I'll Be Watching You is a book about a serial killer named Ned Snelgrove and he's a pompous, arrogant, and downright evil person and I'm glad he's locked up for life. He preyed on such wonderful but helpless women. The story of Carmen is absolutely heartbreaking.

While Ned Snelgrove killed only 2 women and severely hurt a third, I definitely consider him a serial killer and I believe if he was still out on the streets, he'd kill more women.

Ned was someone you would never expect to be this demented. He was good looking, highly educated and respected, but it seems like when he went to college, he just snapped and his whole personality changed. I'm not making excuses for him by the way. He's a sick individual and hopefully he'll ask the Lord for forgiveness before his time comes.

What's really disturbing about his case is his fascination with serial killer Ted Bundy. He even went as far as to compare his crimes to Ted Bundy's and critiqued Bundy where he thought he could do better.

Ned was pompous even on trial and made a whole spectacle out of the criminal justice system. By the time it was all over, everyone was against him. I really don't want to go into spoilers for anyone wanting to read the book. It's very fascinating and very well written. It reads like a novel though it is completely non-fiction. It's a good book, but because the victims are real people, it's also a sad book.

In my personal opinion, Ned Snelgrove should have gotten the death penalty, but life in prison without parole will have to suffice for now.

This book scores a 4.5 out of 5 on the Reader Meter! I highly recommend this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment