Wednesday, June 7, 2017

The Reader's Corner #3

Sherlock Holmes: A Study in Scarlet

This is the book that sent me down the rabbit hole of reading mystery stories, so much that now mystery and crime books are now my absolute favorite genres, so much so that I now love to write mystery stories of my own. When I was younger, mystery stories didn't click with me like they do now, probably because I was just too young to understand them.

Then I started watching shows like Columbo, Forensic Files and Snapped, and I was blown away by fascinating mysteries and crime writing, that it has become one of my favorite hobbies. During my watching of Columbo, I decided to give Sherlock Holmes a try and I'm glad I did.

Sherlock is a very determined character and loves working his cases, even going as far as to black out new knowledge from his memory that doesn't involve the investigation. He is determined at all costs to solve the mystery and proceed to the next case.

Sherlock Holmes was written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, who was a rather strange man, with interest in mysticism, but his characters of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson are not really that much into spiritual matters. You ever wonder where the term "No S*** Sherlock" came from, just read the Sherlock Holmes books. Sometimes he states the obvious and it's rather humorous, but not intended humor. Despite that shortcoming, the Sherlock Holmes books and stories are great.

A Study in Scarlet is kind of like two stories in one, where you have Sherlock trying to solve a murder in Britain, and the history of where the killer came from in the Mormon Utah. It's a story of revenge, and the Mormons are kind of like the mafia in this story.

I've just started reading the short stories and I haven't read all the books yet, but A Study in Scarlet is a fascinating read. It's not the best story I've ever read, but it is fascinating as well as entertaining. I enjoyed the back and forth arguments between Watson and Holmes, and the jabs at other mystery writers like my favorite of all time Edgar Allan Poe.

All in all, it's a fun read and I highly enjoyed the book. I give it a 4 out of 5 on the Reader Meter. Check this book out. I will also like to cover books I didn't particularly enjoy in the Reader's Corner segment of this blog for humor as well as ranting over terrible stuff I had to suffer through reading. Anyway, if you haven't read A Study in Scarlet, you should. It's a classic!

The Disgruntled Southerner signing off! God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment