Tuesday, June 6, 2017

The Reader's Corner #2

Uncle Tom's Cabin

I've read this book for the first time several months back, so forgive me if I can't go into great detail or remember all of the character's names, but this is quite an unforgettable story.

This book, written by a wonderful woman named Harriet Beecher Stowe, was one of the very things that brought forth the crying out for abolition in the south. Stowe was an abolitionist and the story of Uncle Tom is very compelling.

Uncle Tom, the main protagonist in the story, reminds me of Jesus in his attitude even when he suffers. I could make so many parallels between him and Jesus, Uncle Tom being a Christian to begin with. This book is very Christian oriented because Stowe was a Christian woman. She wrote such a wonderful book and I enjoyed reading it.

It has its sad moments. It made me laugh, cry, and just feel for the characters. A woman on the run with her son, trying to reunite with her husband. It seemed like a long shot. I didn't think that part of the story would end well, but I was so happy it did.

A lot of the events in the book were real, and darn right miraculous if you think about it. God was definitely with these characters throughout the story. Abraham Lincoln even joked that Stowe brought forth the Civil War because of her "little book". If you know anything about Lincoln, you know that he had a sense of humor and was an abolitionist himself.

It was Stowe's most successful novel, though she continued to write afterwards. I humbly consider this a historical text and a must-read for anyone who wants to learn more about the history of slavery and abolition.

Other than Uncle Tom, who is just a sweet and humble man, my favorite character was Aunt Chloe, his wife. She was really funny at moments and her undying love for Uncle Tom was admirable. I loved everything about her character.

The N word is used quite a lot in the story, but that's to be expected for the time period. The Quakers in the story were also very cool people and I loved reading about their lives and how they would risk it all to make sure the mullato woman and her child made it to safety and reunite with her husband.

This novel receives a 5 out of 5 on the Reader Meter. I highly recommend this book. It's so important, that it's required reading in a lot of schools and for good reason. It's so good, I may consider reading it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment